"Sunflower State; Jayhawk State"
- Ad astra per aspera (To the stars through difficulties)
- Name Origin
- From a Sioux word meaning “people of the south wind”
- Statehood Date
- Jan. 29, 1861 (34th)
Cities in Kansas
NOTE: Not all cities are displayed. Please narrow your selection by using the search above.
A state's official symbols represent the composition and culture of the land and people who live and have lived here. Below are the symbols of Kansas along with the year they became official.
|Bird||Western Meadowlark (1937)|
|Song||“Home On The Range” (1947)|
- Population Density
- 32.9 people per square mile
Geography and Weather
- Land Area
- 81,815 sq mi. (211,901 sq km)
- Lowest Elevation
- 0 ft (0 m)
- Average Elevation
- 2000 ft (609.6 m)
- Highest Temperature Recorded
- 121°F (49°C) on July 24, 1936
- Lowest Temperature Recorded
- –40°F (–40°C) on February 13, 1905